After nearly a decade of waiting, Capcom recently announced at their "Captivate" event, that the 5th installment in the "Vs." series is a reality. I personally have waited since the release of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and have been an avid player since the game's initial release in 2001. Apparently the hold up with a sequel was that of timing and contracts. On February 6th, 2004 EA Games claimed the rights to Marvel's fighting games. They then released the horrible game "Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects".
They also announced a new game at Comic Con 07'. It was quickly scrapped soon there after.
“EA and Marvel have jointly agreed to discontinue development of the Marvel titles under the EA Games Label. This was a business decision based on EA’s portfolio strategy,” an Electronic Arts rep told GameTap January 28th, 2008.More along the lines of: "EA Games should stop making fighting games, please, please, please for the love of all that is holy."
Nevertheless, Capcom obviously got wind of the fact that the fighting game rights were up for grabs and they all decided to make the impossible possible again.
So far here is what we know of and about the game:
1) So far the games title is: "Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds"
2) The game has roughly 30 characters currently in development. But not to worry, Wes Phillips Associate PR Manager for Capcom was quoted as saying, ""At this point, there are roughly 30 characters in the game, but that number will increase...You can rest assured that Niitsuma-san and his team will be working hard to include as many characters as possible before the game hits next year."
And let's hope so, there were 56 characters in MVC2, and that game was originally on Dreamcast(which used CD's to produce their games). So if Dreamcast's games were made on CD's... the XBox 360 is using dual layer DVD's and the PS3 is using Blu-Ray Disc's, which both have a ludicrous amount of more storage space. A CD is about 700MB, whereas a dual layer DVD is about 50 GB of storage and a blu-ray disc is 25 to 33.4GB. And that's not even a dual layer blu-ray which is 50 to 100GB of storage. In laments terms: THEY HAVE SO MUCH MORE THEY CAN DO! THEY HAVE ROOM FOR MANY MORE CHARACTERS, STAGES, AND HOPEFULLY A GREAT STORYLINE!
3) The only confirmed character's so far are: Iron Man, Hulk, Magneto, Storm, Wolverine, Ryu, Morrigan, and Chris Redfield from the Resident Evil games.
4) The graphics are going to be a mix between Street Fighter IV, the Tatsunoku Vs. Capcom series, and the other Marvel Vs.Capcom games.
5) It is slated for a late 2010 early 2011 release on the Playstation 3 and XBox 360 respectively.
6) There is a teaser trailer for the game! Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbewzn4MG10
As soon as I have more information, it will be known!